Draighty window-mounted extractor fans in bathrooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have two bathrooms in our property, both of which have the same problem: There are extractor fans mounted in the windows, but they have absolutely no shuttering or cowling on the exterior side to prevent incoming draughts. So they basically act as a big hole in the window when not in use (they are activated when the bathroom lights are turned on). As such, during the winter months, they let in blasts of icy cold air.

Is there anything which I can attach to the exterior which would stop the incoming draughts? Note that because the fans are mounted in the window, there are no fixing holes - they are just sitting in the circular duct holes, held in by the rubber sealing ring (which doesn't seem very safe, either).

View media item 86214 View media item 86215

Sponsored Links
Was there an external cover on the fan which has fallen off?

I'm not sure actually. but I was wondering the same myself. We've only been here about 6 months, and I only noticed that there was no external cover when I went to take the photographs.

Sponsored Links
Okay, so what do I need to get to sort this out?

Normally there are flaps within the fan unit which open up a few seconds after the fan has started. When the fan is turned off, they close to prevent draughts. Either they are not working or non-existent. So it looks like you need a new fan checking it has that facility.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
that might fit as a bodge but it won't be pretty (or necessarily weatherproof).

I certainly woudln't recommend it if the fan was mains powered.

Check out the Vent Axia range if you like......yours has the external shutter / grille missing which would be difficult to refabricate.
I fitted one recently that was able to keep the shutters open without the fan on - handy in the summer!
John :)

Thanks again for the suggestions.

So to summarise, I need to replace the existing fans with whole brand new units? Is there definitely no replacement outer grille component available which would be compatible? Because it's going to be a fairly costly job, what with the cost of hiring an electrician to come and fit the replacement fans on top of the cost of the hardware.

A bodge would be to tape on a tube of polythene [about 6inches should do it] which will fall shut or be held against the opening by any wind, the tube would then open up when the fan runs.

Because it's going to be a fairly costly job, what with the cost of hiring an electrician to come and fit the replacement fans on top of the cost of the hardware.

Why would you need an electrician? Replacement of a fan isn't notifiable under Part P, and if you use the existing power supply you won't be handling any mains wires anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back