Drain around conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A friend has had recently had the drain around their conservatory extended along one side to enable standing water to drain.
Can I ask a couple of questions ?
The pointing aroound the slabs alongside the new drain has started to break up, it looks a very sandy colour, is cracking around a drain normal or is it worth chiselling out and replacing with a stronger mix ?
The thin strip between the drain and wall is lower than the surface of the drain enabling water to pool in this area. Is this normal or does it need building up, if the latter would it be with cement or someting else ?
I hope this all makes sense, I've included some photos that I hope illustrate the issues.

Regards,
Andy

IMG_20230616_084406618.jpgIMG_20230616_084340355.jpgIMG_20230616_084509707.jpgIMG_20230616_084434743.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi,

A friend has had recently had the drain around their conservatory extended along one side to enable standing water to drain.
Can I ask a couple of questions ?
The pointing aroound the slabs alongside the new drain has started to break up, it looks a very sandy colour, is cracking around a drain normal or is it worth chiselling out and replacing with a stronger mix ?
The thin strip between the drain and wall is lower than the surface of the drain enabling water to pool in this area. Is this normal or does it need building up, if the latter would it be with cement or someting else ?
I hope this all makes sense, I've included some photos that I hope illustrate the issues.

Regards,
Andy

View attachment 306231View attachment 306230View attachment 306232View attachment 306229
The joint is just too thin. We'd have given it a bit more and actually bedded the bottom and sides in mortar (like you do a brick), so that there is body of mortar there to point.

As for the slightly recessed joint - it would have been better proud or flush, but not a massive foul in the grand scheme. You have riven slabs - there must be wee 'ponds' on these each time it rains, lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back