Long overdue pointing around drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was really hoping to do some re-pointing over the summer and this area is a priority:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/xd4xiuGGEHeweJpd9

This is one of two drains - the other one looks better but this one is badly in need of some attention. I'm not sure if it's clear in the image but the cement around the drain means that if the drain gets blocked the water sits all around it. There are lots of kitchen appliances and the shower/bath going into this drain so this happens occasionally.

The cement is in really bad condition, but in some places there are holes right through the cement. I don't think that these are located where there has been standing water but I'm a little concerned that water will have got into the cavity.

So my first question is: prior to repointing, do I need to give the wall a really good chance to dry out - and will some warm weather do the job or would I need to remove a brick to make sure all was dry inside? If this is going to be a job for a professional then I am happy to get someone in!

My second quesiton is what to do the repointing with - several people have previously suggested that it looks like lime mortar (possible repointed with cement at some point) although the period (1950's council house on large estate) would suggest lime mortar was unlikely.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Very unlikely Lime mortar would have been used in that era, and especially not around a gulley. Best course of action you can take is to replace the existing grid with a plastic version, then cut a slot in it and extend the waste pipe to discharge just below the grid which should help prevent some detritus build up on the grid. I am slightly concerned though about the crack in the gulley, if that extends down below the water level, it is probably time to replace the gulley, if you're not confident to tackle that, you will need to get someone in.

Otherwise, make good around the hopper with some strong mortar, sooner you can do that, sooner you stop any more water getting into the brickwork and sooner it will start to dry out. Whole thing should be below the Damp Course level anyway, so the brickwork will naturally be slightly damp from the surrounding soil, it will never totally dry out.

Very unlikely Lime mortar would have been used in that era, and especially not around a gulley. Best course of action you can take is to replace the existing grid with a plastic version, then cut a slot in it and extend the waste pipe to discharge just below the grid which should help prevent some detritus build up on the grid. I am slightly concerned though about the crack in the gulley, if that extends down below the water level, it is probably time to replace the gulley, if you're not confident to tackle that, you will need to get someone in.

Otherwise, make good around the hopper with some strong mortar, sooner you can do that, sooner you stop any more water getting into the brickwork and sooner it will start to dry out. Whole thing should be below the Damp Course level anyway, so the brickwork will naturally be slightly damp from the surrounding soil, it will never totally dry out.

Hey thanks so much for this - by the crack in the gulley - do you mean the one I've circled here?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QnSXmP71DoxDL6hk7

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back