drain cock leaks on unvented electric heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have low pressure on an electric hot water cylinder so I have been trying to flush it.

I opened the spring loaded drain cock which seemed to drain for some time with the hot tap open, but the next time I tried it after opening the cold inlet valve for 30 secs it just spurts water from the outside of it.

Is there anything I can do to remedy this ?

Sponsored Links
CFE69180-1BBB-4F54-BCC2-E3332196835C.png
It looks like this

1. Photographs of your setup?
2. By electric hot water cylinder do you mean an unvented hot water system heated by electricity only?

5620F579-3122-4117-A8E3-DFE7B9E596AC.png
52B241D9-8AB5-4EBE-8B5F-0CEACD4EF500.jpeg
1. Photographs of your setup?
2. By electric hot water cylinder do you mean an unvented hot water system heated by electricity only?
Hi, yes its an unvented cylinder heated by electricity only.

Sponsored Links
the drain valve is just out of the picture at top right connected to the blue hose.

Are you in the UK? If so and if that's an unvented cylinder (with more than a 15L capacity) then you shouldn't be playing with it's safety features, it needs a qualified engineer to work on it.

I'm not familiar with that cylinder, and cannot usefully comment further. However:
1. Madrab is absolutely right. If its unvented you need a G3 qualified engineer to work on it if in the UK.
2. The isolation valves are not full bore and will restrict the flow through the appliance.
3. The valve you pictured in your original post - is it Water Regulations approved. I would doubt it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back