Drain heating - keep hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Glow worm Ultracom 30cx combi boiler feeding a sealed heating system.

I plan to replace a couple of lock shield valves along with moving a radiator.

Is it safe to close the heating feed and return at the boiler to allow me to work on the heating circuit while still having hot water?

The manual states the boiler is fitted with an automatic bypass and expansion vessel.

I would turn the heating off at the boiler but leave the hot water as normal.

Sponsored Links
probably ok however you may find it difficulty to drain the pipe without vent from the boiler.
I would not do that.

I have done it with my Ravenheat boiler. However, I selected the summer function button in order for the diverter valve to stay in hot water position.
I worked on the heating side with no problems.
For draining the pipes I opened the bleeding valve of the highest radiator and that was sufficient.

I hope this helps,

Younes

No, the boiler should not be used whilst the heating circuit is drained down. If it's going to be some time you could temporarliy put a large loop of pipe between the flow and return connections.

Sponsored Links
Makers don't usually say you can do that.

I often do it and I have never damaged any boiler nor seen any damaged that way!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back