Boiler going off on hot water but ok for heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, a little problem I am having - my Glow worm boiler (Ultracom 18kw) is fine on heating, but no hot water, the boiler goes off after a few minutes, then about 5 or more minutes later comes on, and the sequence repeats! There is no F code as in the manual,. so I am not sure what could be the cause?

I have bled all the radiators and checked the pump. Is there anything else causing this? Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
I have noticed on the display on the boiler that the temperature in hot water goes up very quickly then stops for a few seconds then goes up a bit again and then the flame symbol goes off. In heating this does not happen. Is there anything else I can check please?

hot cold hot cold????

is it a combi???

blocked plate....

Sponsored Links
Could be a dodgy micro switch in the actuator on the valve. Need a bit more info on other system components.

thanks for helping - I have just moved in. It looks a new(ish) Glow worm Ultracom hxi 18kw boiler - it feeds 7 radiators and a hot water tank in the airing cupbaord. The radiators heat up brilliantly in a short time. The hot water, fires up, pump runs, but the boiler gets to a temerature of 70 degrees, then stops, goes down a few degrees and then the flame symbol goes off. Then after a while it comes on for a short time again.

I have googled some information on it - and it says something about ranging the KW down and about it not being able to modulate enough. But I am not sure how to do this or if it would work! My hot water tank is standard, about 120 litres, not a large tank.

The pipe going in and coming out of the tank are both very hot and all air is out of the system.

There is a magnetic filter called TF1 above the boiler and this was also vented of air.

Can you run CH by itself or does the HW channel also fire up when you ask for CH? Is the HW cylinder factory lagged or does it wear a red jacket or similar?

Hi

I can run heating by itself without hw coming on - the cylinder is pre lagged, not a jacket type.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back