Drain holes upvc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After some help from the building forum, now advised to post here ......

We have establised that the reason for the damp patch on 1st floor bedroom wall is from water getting in somehow and the windows not draining propery. We have poured water down the drain holes and it runs down through the cavity onto the inside wall. 2 Drain holes appear to been clear. Silicone around windows has been re-done.

Does this mean the window frame is cracked underneath? Is it likely a new window will be necessary or take out and fix?

Thanks
View media item 92476

Sponsored Links
Hmmm....

You pour water in the internal drain holes and it comes out the bottom into the cavity......so no water actually comes out of the front drainage holes ( take it you drainage holes are visible on the front of the frame...) so by deduction yes, water is somehow getting out the bottom of the frame. could be a number of things, but I suspect the frame was originally base drainage ( onto a plastic cill, you won't see the drainholes) and these have been covered and new holes on the front drilled....
It is unlikely to be a cracked frame ( but is possible ) , because the drainage on a Upvc frame is only a small hollow section at the front of the frame...If you cut a Upvc frame in half you would see different chambers inside the frame , and the very front one is usually the drainage, so no water should get right through to the main frame.

How old are the frames?

In theory , you could take it and try and locate the problem , which hopefully is the ' base ' drainage holes not being sealed up upon fitting ,( when they realised they had made a mistake...), other than that I don't think you will get to the route cause of water getting from the drainage chamber to the main chambers without purchasing a new frame...

Thanks for you reply.

Guessing windows are in excess of 7 years old. we have been in the property for 5 years. All windows are the same style and I believe were replaced at the same time. Only noticed the damp section this winter. I will call out a local window repairer.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
are there any screws in the bottom section? if yes maybe that's creating a path/bridge for water to get down through upvc chambers and into the wall cavity?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back