Drain Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This weekend I noticed one of my patio tiles, near the kitchen drain outlet had cracked and a corner had fallen. I took up the tile and noticed underneath that the sand had almost completely gone.

After some testing I found that the kitchen drain outlet was overshooting the actual drain and hitting the concrete drain surround flowing into the gap between drain and surround. The water then has, over time undermined the drain surround and has eroded the sand.

Here's an image https://www.diynot.com/diy/media/img_2202.100201/

I guess the answer is to somehow seal the space between the drain surround and the drain in order to redirect the water to the drain. and then repack the sand.

Am I right?

If so what would you guys use to seal the gap? Particularly given that there is a fair bit of water around and the chances of getting my lot to not use the kitchen sink for a few days while it dries are somewhere south of nil.

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Excellent picture - what you need to do is take out the grid under the down pipe, then get a Rainwater pipe socket (cuz the pipe is rainwater size ) glue the socket on the bottom so it hangs into the gulley. You might get a bit of the grid to go back round the pipe. So any work you have described will be just cosmetic because the water will be into the gulley, and won't splash out(y)

Sponsored Links
Yeah. Good point. Hadn't thought of that.

What you can't see in the picture is that there is a good two to three inches vertically between the top of the drain edge and the top of the drain surround. So I'll probably take the pipe down to about three quarters of an inch above the grid. That way we retain a saftey net to rescue the odd toy soldier or whatever that finds it's way into the system.

Concrete up the gap for cosmetic belt and braces and then re-sand and re-lay the tile.

Thanks again

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back