Drain pipe going to nowhere on a flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Just bought a new place with a roof terrace on a flat roof. Seems our vendors managed to hide the fact that there's a drain pipe that simply empties out onto the roof with some artfully placed plant pots.

It looks like below:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The water is pooling up - where it coming out another 3 foot along there's an incline down to drainage - but it's not working here.

I wondered if it would make sense to basically run a hose directly off the drainpipe to the area where it would be able to drain; but I haven't been able to find anything that would do this.

If there a product that would work for this, and does it make sense? There's not too much room on the terrace, so I don't want to eat up space with too big a solution - just make sure the water goes where it needs to.

Sponsored Links
that`s a white plastic overflow pipe - from something :confused: - sticking out the wall - and there are bumps in the mastic asphalt of the roof causing the pooling :idea: Also there is a bush growing out of the brickwork - kill it ;) Unless it`s on next doors patio in a pot. See if you can find where the white pipe runs to inside . Then report back

I probably should have said everything on this level belongs to our upstairs neighbour - except for our terrace - so not sure what the overflow is coming from.

Any way - the drainpipe is definitely the main problem for now - any ideas on a product to deal with that?

You and lie some square-flow gutter on your roof to channel most to the water from this downpipe to your outlet

Sponsored Links
Because square-flow has a flat bottom and will rest on the roof, when half-round will tip sideways

I'm trying to keep this all as compact as possible - we don't have much room.

Would it be possible to connect the existing drainpipe (68mm I think) to a section of hose pipe and run that the 8 foot down to where the incline on the roof works?

I've tried to find some waterproof connectors/convertors that would do this - any recommendations?

Reducing the size of the bore of the rwp will make it more prone to blockages and may cause it to back up and overflow during heavy spells of rain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back