Drain Query

M

marsaday

I have taken out an older pot drain as it was all cracked and broken.

I have bought a new bottle gully and need to connect this up to the pipe work in the ground. This is a pot pipe and the dimensions are:

145mm internal collar measurement

100mm actual pipe diameter

How do i connect up the plastic to this pot pipe?

Can i use toilet black waste pipe to fit onto the gully trap and then fit this into the pot pipe and cement up around this section. Obviously i will need to use a couple of bends to get the thing to work as the height difference is about 100mm.

View media item 60366

Sponsored Links
1. The salt glaze hub (?) that you intend to go into is itself cracked.

2. I'd suggest that you post pics of a larger area view so that we can see whats what.

3. I'd also suggest that you dig out around the pipework in the ground and clean off the outside surface so that we can advise you further.

4. What i'm looking for is, what the gulley is serving and where it's to be located, and how it will connect to the groundwork in terms of connecting angles and ground level.

Fernco.jpg

'Fernco' salt glaze clay - 110mm plastic connector.

I know the collar is cracked, but it will do and i am not changing that.

You may be able to tell a bit more from the photo of the house, but it doesn't show you the change in height in the hole which is now around the drain pipe area.

What i am thinking of doing is coming off the trap with an elbow pointing downwards and then using another elbow with only one collar on it. On the end of this i will add a small length of soil pipe which will fit into the coupling noseall has highlighted.

View media item 60385

View media item 60386

Sponsored Links
Sounds feasible to me. If the gulley is taking a sink waste, then i'd use a couple of 45 ° bends rather than 90's, makes life easier in future should anything bung up. Sit the gulley on a bit of concrete to correct level, then haunch concrete around base to hold in position. Any shallow pipework may benefit from a spot of concrete over it for protection.

Unsure about your last post, but you do need to dig back a bit to find an decent bit of clayware to couple onto really. Above ground soil pipe will be ok underground, it's the underground stuff that doesn't like sunlight!

45's sound good if i can get them to work. I will see tomorrow.

The hole in the ground is much deeper than the gully trap i have and so i will hardcore it up and then make a compo mix to set it on. Will also set some around it all when in place, plus use pea gravel.

I understand about the orange pipe now.

if you have not already finished this id dig a bit further down the pipe and find a section that is not cracked and make a new cut then fit a galzed to plastic coupling as pictured in one of the previous posts . you really need to only one bend and ideally less than 45 degrees in case you ever need to rod the pipe.
I wouldnt leave that pipe with the crack in as it will eventually fail or let tiny amounts of earth or roots into the pipe redulting in blockages and having to rip it out as your doing it you may as well do it right

Why the gulley and waste by the front door? Not a good selling point.

Why not re-locate your gulley to the side of the house.

If you go deeper down the salt glaze say, 100mm, then you cut it, the easier it will be to make a sound connection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back