Drain Smell Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

I have drain smells coming up from my kitchen sink. There is a very long drop which the drains run away to after the trap, so I installed an admittance valve thinking that would solve the problem, but it is still there. I have tested the valve and it works correctly (as far as I can tell). Is the valve too far away from the trap to work correctly?

Any advice would be great as its driving me bonkers.

Please see attached photo
The photo is squint, not the plumbing...

You can see the white admittance valve in the top right hand corner.

Many thanks in advance for any ideas.

Al

Sponsored Links
There appears to be a lot of pipe work from the plug holes in the sinks to the 'U' bend.

All that pipe work will smell and the smell will vent up through the plug hole.

I think you will need to get the 'U' bend directly under the plugs some how, to form a water seal!

Ah, ok... I see what you are saying. I can try and install two traps under the sink... very hard to do as a lack of space.

However, do you think that the air admittance valve is serving its purpose and keeping the main trap full?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes it will. A couple of antivac bottle traps would have done the job as well.

The washing machine/dishwasher discharging will no doubt push the stale smell from pipe back towards the sink plug hole

Is the second waste from a drainer, often gets overlooked when cleaning, needs bleach down it as regularly as the main sink.What the grey pipe to rear with no trap on it?

The 2 horizontal runs directly under the bowls will possibly have built up some 'grime' over time and could possibly do with a proper clean-out. horizontal runs of waste pipes from sinks or appliances should be kept to a bare minimum.

In the horizontal runs you may get a HepVo waterless trap or a running trap, both very easy to fit if you have enough length, if not try an extra flat sink waste which has a 5omm water seal, all can be got from BES

Its a lash up and needs to be cut out and done properly making sure the washing machine pipe is fitted correctly and there are traps fitted so no drain smells come back up the pipe

Its wrong in so many ways ,better to start over and do it again, those Hep2O valves aint cheap

Its a lash up and needs to be cut out and done properly making sure the washing machine pipe is fitted correctly and there are traps fitted so no drain smells come back up the pipe

Its wrong in so many ways ,better to start over and do it again, those Hep2O valves aint cheap

It is not a lash up, these wastes come with the sink units, you cannot install a trap directly to the sink outlet.
I would say it is most likely the washing machine connection that is causing the smell

look where it has been fitted the washing machine drain before or after the trap

Its a lash up and needs to be done properly like i said in my first post wasting money on hep valves ,better to do the job properly once

where is the trap on the grey pipe?

Back in the day those waste pipes would never be allowed , building inspector would stick a pencil down waste outlet & expect to see a water mark on it.............whenever these type wastes are supplied i throw em in the skip & use the correct sink waste & trap on each bowl.............that pipework is a shocking state of affairs.

if all the rest of your waste plumbing is correct i would suggest caping off existing connector looks like a washing machine.
insert a swept tee 32mm between your blue towel and red nozzle still keeping existing trap,adapt swept tee to accept rubber flexi wash machine discharge pipe so it all points downwards,parts from proper plumbers not a shed.
existing air valve get rid of it and fit an access cap where convinent.
finally get a new shelf and adapt that to fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back