Very bad smell in the Hall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
previously I found that the smell was coming from the bath trap after a full sink had been emptied.
I know that this is caused by negative pressure in the waste pipes sucking the air from a trap so I had a poke round under the bath and found that the trap is one of those with an air admittance valve to avoid this. so opened it up reseated the valve and that seemed to work ok.

Later we had this smell again but it's not coming from any of the Bath/sink/shower plug holes.
It seems stronger in the airing cupboard where the vent stack is.
This is about 18inches above the floor and has an air admittance valve on top.
I replaced the valve a few months ago but the smell still came back from time to time.
(it doesn't happen all the time)

Today the smell was back with a vengeance! the whole upstairs is stinking.
Its strange but I can't seem to find where it's coming from but as it's worse in the airing cupboard I have got to assume it's the stack admittance valve.
I took the top off the valve and checked the rubber seal and the valve action and all seems to be OK ?
I did notice that I could feel a very strong updraft of air from the top of the stench pipe. It's very windy at the moment but how could this get into the pipe and get blown upwards??
Do you think this could be the cause ?

BTW we have lived here for 14 years and this started happening in a about March of this year.
Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back