drain smells in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ground floor bathroom with bath and sink waste going outside to an open gully trap. The washing machine is also connected to the bath waste. Both waste pipes terminated below the water level in the trap but the constant gurgling drove me mad so I cut them just short of the water level. Now the trap gets very smelly with stale water and needs a good hosing through every week or so. Worse than that is the smell in bathroom. I don't see how it can get in as everything has it's own trap. The smell in the room seems to come and go at random. Any ideas please? Thanks. :(

Sponsored Links
The water in the bath trap is probably being sucked out when the washing machine discharges. As it discharges to a gully it's probably only a shallow trap.

Mike

Thanks for your reply Mike. The washing machine actually discharges from it's standpipe trap through 6 feet of pipe which is connected onto the bath trap (which is shallow) so it goes through the bath trap then out to the gully. Would that still empty the trap?

Sponsored Links
Many thanks chaps. Just experimented filling bath trap after using washing machine and pong has gone...so far. :D

You could install a hepvo trap in line to prevent the passage of odours just past the shallow bath trap.

You are a bit stuck with shallow bath traps as they do not come in anti vac models.

Pete

Think I'm going to run an extra pipe just for the w/m.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back