Drain through hardcore layer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, another question :)

I'm running drains through my foundations for the new toilet and such. I was hoping it would simply work out that Id dig them into a trench but as it happens they'll sit at the bottom of the hardcore layer.

I can certainly bed them into pea gravel, but I've not tried covering them.

What's the deal here, and with compacting the hardcore layer? I presume it's a common thing but I can't find any info

Sponsored Links
I am presuming you mean the oversite and not the footings? Bed in peagravel as normal, and cover in concrete to protect the pipework.

I am presuming you mean the oversite and not the footings? Bed in peagravel as normal, and cover in concrete to protect the pipework.

Cheers Hugh. Yeah, there is a notch in the foundations which is linteled over and then they're under the oversite.

So does the concrete just go straight into the plastic? And Building Control will be ok with that?

Times I've seen it done, as long as the drain is covered by the concrete to protect it, and any Damp proofing is not compromised, it should be ok.

Sponsored Links
Times I've seen it done, as long as the drain is covered by the concrete to protect it, and any Damp proofing is not compromised, it should be ok.

Hi Hugh, just wanted to respond to say thanks for responding - you made a lot of sense. But BC came round to sign off the drain installs and told me I can just bury the whole thing in a pile of pea shingle, so on the basis that that's much easier and they're happy with it I'll probably go that route

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back