Drainage for new kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if there is someone who might provide me with a little advice.

We have a commercial building with space (and planning permission) to create a flat in the roof space.

One room is to be a kitchen and will have a sink and dishwasher. The "plumber" from a building firm I was unfortunate enough to employ has provided me with a 50mm pipe which he connected into an adjacent 68mm rainwater downpipe claiming it would be fine and the building inspector would not notice anyway. Needless to say within a few days the trap of that downpipe became blocked with all the crud they dropped down the pipe whilst re-tiling the roof and the water backed up the pipe and was sprouting from the silicon bodge he created to join the pipes, so it's far from being OK.

The drawings passed by BC show the waste pipe crossing joists towards the other side of the building which is not possible.

I see I have three main options and wonder what folk think

1) Excavate the main drain outside the building and put in an open 4" stack to which this 50mm pipe would connect.

2) Run the 50mm pipe down the wall as a mini open stack and connect to the excavated drains as above

3) By chance there is a 50mm upstand in the service space behind kitchen units for a sink in a room directly underneath. Can I take an open 50mm mini stack back into the building into this service space and T into the 50mm pipe for the downstairs sink. It only handles one seldom used sink which we might remove and connect to more cupboard space as there is another sink in the room.

Thanks in anticipation of any helpful comments

Sponsored Links
Thank you Lunat.

If I do No 3, would it be better to

a) put a 135 degrees bend, go through the wall at 45 degrees from the vertical and then another 135 to tee into the 50mm vertical or (easier)

b) go through the wall, horizontally, into the 50mm vertical and use a tee with access point outside where it goes through the wall, in case of needing to clear a blockage.

Sponsored Links
Can`t be ars"ed reading it all, but I would probably drop into an existing waste below ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back