Drainage holes wrongly placed in UPVC doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a historic issue with a leak since moving into a property a couple of years ago - finally found out the problem (or assume I have) which is that the drainage holes within the frame for the upvc doors in the loft are facing into the house not away towards the outside cill - just want to know if I can silicon up the existing holes and whether I can drill new ones facing down and outwards? Assume relatively straight forward but having no clue how a door is built want to check there are no membranes etc I can drill into or make the problem worse in anyway.

As a side note am surprised by how much water is finding its way into the bedroom below the door - anyone know if its common for upvc doors to let in quite a bit of water? Doors are south facing and exposed to wind so guessing with right amount of rain a air amount of water can work past the seals and into the frame?

Hoping new holes in the right place is the solution - common sense suggests it is but am a total novice with doors and drainage.

Many thanks for any thoughts out there

Sponsored Links
Hi Gazman,

Here's a pic of the doorframe - not sure why its rotated to portrait though. Sorry about that. You can see the drainage hole near the inside and although dirty, probably see there are no drainage holes facing outwards?

Cheers.

That dosent look like a drainage hole to me (well not with my head tilted at that angle), More like an old screw hole.

Can you show the outside bottom of the frame?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for taking the time to have a (sideways) look Gazman.

Pretty sure they are supposed to be drainage holes as there are four in total, evenly spaced and are drilled the same as the double doors downstairs which open outwards. I tested the drainage in those other doors - poured down a cup of water and it all rushed out nicely over the cill. Unlike with these ones - pour it down and it eventually results in a damp patch in bedroom below!

But as the problematic doors - effectively what seem to be patio doors stuck the wrong way round in the loft - am not confident that if I drill new holes, the problem will be automatically solved...

Will try to get a pic from outside tomorrow if it stops raining!

Thanks again.

It is possible as you say that the doors were fitted the wrong way around and just drilling new holes may not help.

Hopefully a few more pics will help us know for sure.
Worst case scenario would be getting a window fitter or builder in to turn it around, Shouldnt be more than a days labor.

Hi Gazman,

Trouble is, doors are in loft, three floors up with juliet balcony in place so doors can't open outwards. If drainage doesn't work assume that might mean new, correctly installed doors…

Cheers

If it has concealed drainage there will be matching holes at the bottom of the frame that will be difficult to seal up without making the holes in the top big enough to get a silicone nozzle down there.

Assuming you can seal up those holes it should be fairly easy to drill new holes in the outside of the frame.
I have tried to get find some decent pics of how the drainage should go on google for you but had no luck I'm afraid

Finally got round to taking some new pics - after trying to fix the problem. Ended up drilling a few holes in desperate hope this might be the solution. First holes were directly through the lip of the frame to the outside. This didn't work - too much water still passing through the door presumably. Next step was to drill down into the chamber below with bigger holes and then create some exit holes flowing out to the cill. As I understand it, because the frame was put in the wrong way round, the normal exit channels won't have any effect hence siliconing along the lip of the cill. Have also blocked the pre-existing (and wrongly placed holes) as well as tightening up the doors as much as possible. Lots of rain on the way so fingers crossed!

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back