Drainage Issues (Manhole)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

I have issue where the water isn’t draining properly, I have taken the manhole cover out and there is water sitting there .

I have called Severn Trent out twice and both times they have jet washed the drains and checked with cctv and have confirmed the drains are clear.

however each day in evening when I check the drain under the manhole there is water sitting there and it clear by the morning.

i have been in contact again with ST again but they are not willing to come out as they have advised that the issue is within my boundary.

speaking to them over WhatsApp they have advised: The blockage is within the property boundary not on the main pipe. I can not see exactly where unfortunately. When they have written all clear on those notes they mean that the severn trent assets are clear.

They checked all the drains after they'd cleared the blockage on your private pipe so at the time of the CCTV the private pipes were also clear.

The private pipes were surveyed after the blockage was cleared which is why they were then clear. The initial blockage was in the private pipes not the severn trent pipes. due to this I am unable to arrange for another engineer to attend your property and you will need to contact a private contractor to clear this.

I am not sure what to do with this? As if I call someone out they will most likely unblock the issue but I can see it just coming back again.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0714.jpeg
    IMG_0714.jpeg
    446.6 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
If you engage with them properly as advise them of the issue they would probably recommend a clear and cctv survey.

If you engage with them properly as advise them of the issue they would probably recommend a clear and cctv survey.

Severn Trent have come out twice - cleared the drains once and checked with CCtV twice showing everything is clear.

Severn Trent have come out twice - cleared the drains once and checked with CCtV twice showing everything is clear.
Yes I understood that, but they’re now refusing to clear yours. I have worked with drainage people who have been to previously cctv’d drains and turned out there was an issue despite them saying no issue.

Sponsored Links
Yes I understood that, but they’re now refusing to clear yours. I have worked with drainage people who have been to previously cctv’d drains and turned out there was an issue despite them saying no issue.

Spoke to them yesterday and they not budging, saying it’s a private issue and not willing to come out again

If the manhole drains away from your property on the main sewage or towards your neighbour manhole, they're responsible.
Water standing in the manhole means there's a blockage downstream, which most times is their responsibility.
If the blockage was in your pipes, water won't be standing in the manhole, but it won't reach it.

The property is approx 1940’s detached - drains are not shared with any other property.

the length from the manhole to the main drain on the road is approx 9-10metres.

today morning I have checked the manhole drain and it’s all clear - but I know end of the day it will be full again, seems like it’s draining very slowly.

In that case, unless the blockage is within the 10m in your property, it's their responsibility.
If you're bold enough, lift the first manhole cover in the street and see if it's blocked.
If it is, it's their responsibility.
Sometimes blockages are very far from were the symptoms appear.

The nearest manhole is around 30 metres away from the property which looks ok from the outside - another one about 100 metres away leaks when it rains heavy. There’s some kind of marking around it

Last edited:
The property is approx 1940’s detached - drains are not shared with any other property.

the length from the manhole to the main drain on the road is approx 9-10metres.

today morning I have checked the manhole drain and it’s all clear - but I know end of the day it will be full again, seems like it’s draining very slowly.
At that age the property probably has an interceptor trap - please post a picture of the clear manhole so we can see the drain. (y)

Ok, I would leave it a few days then check to see if the water has risen.

Andy
It rising when the water is in use - so in the morning - when showered etc the man hole gets filled - in few hours it’s empty again

At that age the property probably has an interceptor trap - please post a picture of the clear manhole so we can see the drain. (y)
Photo taken now - still abit of water there

Attachments

• IMG_0723.jpeg
    IMG_0723.jpeg
    592.8 KB · Views: 43

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back