Drainage Plans - Developer Not Playing Ball

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I was going to put this into home but it's more of a legal issue than anything I'd say, but feel free to move it if necessary.

We bought a house off plan from Persimmon and got the keys on 9th May 2016. Word of advice, never buy a house from them, they are crooks.

When we bought the house, we had to go over all of the plans and was clearly told "there are no drains on your property and they even showed us the plans in the sales office. As part of our deeds etc... we were only given plans showing the boundary lines and speaking to our the solicitors who did our conveyancing, that is all they have too.

Fast forward to now and we have some problems with some drains (that are on our property) and after being reminded by my mrs that "wasn't we told we didnt have drains". I queried it. I asked them for copies of the plans to which we've been told it is their company policy not to issue the drawings outside of the company and therefore can't provide them. Surely, this is my house, I should be entitled to see them?

My thinking based on the way they have been acting, is that they know the drains shouldn't be there and would not be willing to move them as it will cost them as a company, hence not wanting to show us.

I've spoken to the council and the waterboard and none of them have the plans and referred us to the NHBC (who deal with warranties etc) and they confirmed that they do have the plans but can only show us if Persimmon allow them to so right now we are between a rock and a hard place.

Anyone got any ideas on how to proceed on this?

Thanks,

Andy

Sponsored Links
Persimmon have been featured in consumer programs as having dodgy practices.

Can you share what the problem is "with the drains" - arn't they included within the NHBC warranty (for all its worth)

You can usually pull the building plans off the council planning website. These are unlikely to show the drains. But they may help you visualize where they are given that you know the slope of the land and the location of the toilets etc.
G

Can you apply for them under a freedom of information act, and what reason are they giving for withholding them. Having drains on your property shouldn't be an issue, but it's nice not having manhole covers however, if there is a problem with your drains not clearing, then access to them via a manhole that you don't have could well be an issue. Sounds as though they might need to install a manhole (on your property) to give access to them, and they don't want the expense and hassle of doing it.

On the other hand, they've screwed the drains up, and don't want you to know.

Everyone has drains from their house, else where does all the crap go to?

You are not entitled to see any plans owned by any private company.

It's not rocket science to trace any drain from your house and those adjacent and potentially connected.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I was going to put this into home but it's more of a legal issue than anything I'd say, but feel free to move it if necessary.

We bought a house off plan from Persimmon and got the keys on 9th May 2016. Word of advice, never buy a house from them, they are crooks.

When we bought the house, we had to go over all of the plans and was clearly told "there are no drains on your property and they even showed us the plans in the sales office. As part of our deeds etc... we were only given plans showing the boundary lines and speaking to our the solicitors who did our conveyancing, that is all they have too.

Fast forward to now and we have some problems with some drains (that are on our property) and after being reminded by my mrs that "wasn't we told we didnt have drains". I queried it. I asked them for copies of the plans to which we've been told it is their company policy not to issue the drawings outside of the company and therefore can't provide them. Surely, this is my house, I should be entitled to see them?

My thinking based on the way they have been acting, is that they know the drains shouldn't be there and would not be willing to move them as it will cost them as a company, hence not wanting to show us.

I've spoken to the council and the waterboard and none of them have the plans and referred us to the NHBC (who deal with warranties etc) and they confirmed that they do have the plans but can only show us if Persimmon allow them to so right now we are between a rock and a hard place.

Anyone got any ideas on how to proceed on this?

Thanks,

Andy

It would be helpful to know what problems you are having with the drains.

You should be able to work out you drainage layout. Obviously you must have private drainage fro your own property, I guess your concern is public drainage. Any drain that crosses the boundary into your garden is a public drain (drainage was adopted in 2011).

If you take off your manhole covers then flushing loos etc will show you the flow direction and which pipe goes where.

Note that foul and rain water are 2 separate systems.

Tongue in cheek, but if they told you that you don't have drains, maybe that's why you're having an issue. You don't have a soakaway/septic tank by Amy small chance do you?

Above is all good advice. Don't focus too much on the plans or paperwork, you just need it all fixed.

That aside, do you have drains cover on your home insurance? If so just leave it with them. If it turns out to bea building fault with the drains rather than something you put down then they should repair it under the nhbc as everything will be still in cover.

Ha ha ha!!!

The drains are the pipes underground. The lids you don't like are access points should you ever need to get to the drains. They are part of the Building Regs and will 100% be on the plans.

If you wanted you could remove the lid, cut the big tube down then replace the lid and have it underground. It would take minutes to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back