Drainage Problem with 5.5inch Clay Pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im adding an extension to my existing property and am trying to do as much of the work myself as possible.

I need to add a new soil pipe to the rear. Im wanting to tap this into the existing clay soil. The existing pipe is 5.5inch though and i can only get pipework and attachments to fit 4 or 6 inch underground drainage?

How should i go about sorting?

Im thinking of just taking the new soil to the main sewer....

Many thanks for any assistance

Peter

Sponsored Links
Flexseal couplings might do the size you need. However, access to the new drain will be required, and the Building inspector may require a manhole to be sited at the point of proposed connection.

If so, cut the top half of the existing clay pipe and remove it, leaving a half channel from the existing pipe. Bed in concrete, provide new connection (angled to join existing sewer in direction of flow), then construct chamber off the concrete base. Bench new chamber as required.

Which part of the clay pipe are you measuring?

The nominal size usually refers to the bore of the pipe, so an outside diameter of 5½" is probably a nominal 4" pipe with ¾" thick walls.

Would that not make the pipe 4.75inch? Im just measuring across. The clay soil has been there 35years so i thought it might of been an imperial measurement or something?

Thanks for the reply.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back