Drainage problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having no luck at the minute :)

We've had guests staying and I think someone has maybe flushed something they shouldn't have down the toilet. The shower, sink and toilet in the en suite share a main drainage pipe and it has been a bit... Sluggish since they have left along with other problems. When the shower is running, the toilet starts to gurgle and the water takes its time to drain from the shower (it is usually very fast). When the toilet is flushed, the shower drain hisses and gurgles and the trap moves up and down. When the tap is run the same thing happens. Whatever is causing the blockage, I don't think it is a *major* issue, so I was wondering if a bit of drain unblocker might work before I call out a plumber...

I also know that this could be caused by an issue with the vent. I'm not sure how to diagnose what the true culprit is so if anyone has any tips on doing that it would be very helpful.

Sponsored Links
Drain unblocker is vile stuff- avoid if possible. Did your guests include small children or teenage girls- if either then you've probably got wet wipes stuck in a bend somewhere.
How accessible for maintenance are the waste runs?

Shower could be hair? Agree with above, any drain blocker used, if unsuccessful will still be there for the plumber to face should you need one.

Sponsored Links
Drain unblocker is vile stuff- avoid if possible. Did your guests include small children or teenage girls- if either then you've probably got wet wipes stuck in a bend somewhere.
How accessible for maintenance are the waste runs?
I don't think very. The stack comes out the building about halfway down and there is a cap (presumably for cleaning) at ground level. The pipes that are internal are cased in behind walls and tiles.

Well oops. It does sound as though it's the main (110) mm that's blocked. Have you done as @HERTS P&D suggested yet? If there isn't a convenient manhole then undo the ground level rodding point (I'd advise a bucket and significant PPE, the stack could be full of sh*t for all you know). If the pipe isn't full then flush the loo with that cap off, observe shower trap etc

EDIT/APPEND if above doesn't solve anything you might want to invest in a drain snake and work from the loo towards the stack pipe.

My dad is a plumber, he just lives 500 miles away. I'll get him to look at it for me when he visits next (which is soon). The bathroom is usable and there doesn't appear to be a complete blockage so it should be fine for a week or so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back