Drainage System for Flooding On Drive Way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have bought a drain gulley & pipe (with converter of course due to the pipe size!)
(See below images)
This is to sort out the flooding on my drive whicgh is causing a nightmare!
Can anyone reccomend anything to help this be most effective as i've never done underground drainage before... :rolleyes:
The gate in the top right of the image leads to a walkway down the side of the house, and approx 10m away there is a foul sewer manhole with an already existing storm water pipe going into it from my gutter at the back (installed by the previous owner)

Any advice (or better ideas) would be great!

View media item 71217 View media item 71218 View media item 71219

Sponsored Links
I would be inclined to raise the back of the driveway a little and pull a straight grade down to the top of the channel at the front edge and let the water find its way from there.I would imagine given its position that this was the channels original purpose and the driveway has compacted slightly at either side with use. That said im not sure of any rules and regs for discharging surface water?

What you pictured is not a gulley but merely a gulley top you need a bottle gulley.

Also have you measured whether you have enough fall to get to the discharge.

have a read of the paving expert website where they have a drainage section then come back with any specific queries.

Sponsored Links
In terms of fall, you just need to ensure that the pipe will be sloping in the correct direction along the length of the pipe. this will ensure the pipe will empty and the water will flow away from the surface.

A typical fall of 1 in 100 should be sufficient as a minimum, so you are looking at a minimum 100mm drop over the 10m, if you can do more than that, great.

This will stop any build up of debris from dirt leaves etc from blocking the pipe.

What do you plan on doing?

The normal scenario would be a bottle gulley connected to your pipe via whatever bends you need then the pipe obviously connected to your discharge at the other end.

If you don't use a gulley not only will you have constant sewer smells coming up from the grate but how will you secure your grate? You also need to consider how you would ever clear it if it gets blocked?

If it is to be in a position where it will be driven over you need to use a linear drainage channel or a road gulley instead of a plastic one.

Before you do anything, find out what is under the gravel. I've seen cases where polythene has been used instead of permeable membrane that cause just this situation.

So finally Highways have booked in to repair the gulley, I just ned to create the sufficient slope to allow runoff. What should i do to create this, & what aggregate would be best to ensure most of the water runs off rather than soaks in- I know tarmac is no good as planning permission is needed and i am keen to keep the gravel but just dont want the flooding!
Many Thanks

If you've got properly laid gravel then you shouldn't be getting any flooding as gravel is water permeable so would let rain soak through into the ground beneath.

What is under the gravel? This may be key to the flooding issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back