Flooded Driveway Drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have bought a drain gulley & pipe (with converter of course due to the pipe size!)
(See below images)
This is to sort out the flooding on my drive whicgh is causing a nightmare!
Can anyone reccomend anything to help this be most effective as i've never done underground drainage before... :rolleyes:
The gate in the top right of the image leads to a walkway down the side of the house, and approx 10m away there is a foul sewer manhole with an already existing storm water pipe going into it from my gutter at the back (installed by the previous owner)

Any advice (or better ideas) would be great!

View media item 71217 View media item 71218 View media item 71219

Sponsored Links
Instead of digging and sorting out a gully, is it not more feasible to do some sort of paving, with the relevant slope? You have drain off at the end leading to somewhere.

Direct the water back in and let the person further on deal with it

That is a hopper not a gully as well bud, look into soakaway containers, Mcalpine do them, channel & grating will be another option.

Limited information to go on.

Or just build a lip and dump a few tons of driveway gravel of your choice, not a good idea if you like to work on your car/van etc as your jack is no good.

Sponsored Links
That is a hopper not a gully as well bud

Lol... told you i'd never done it before...

Instead of digging and sorting out a gully, is it not more feasible to do some sort of paving, with the relevant slope? You have drain off at the end leading to somewhere.

That concrete gully dumps the whole roads worth of water on my drive as its broken and basically discharges on to my drive - highways were meant to be looking at it 12 months ago but still nothing :evil:

7ECRWSx.jpg

I would be getting back onto Highways and kicking some backsides, you have no legal obligation to be getting rid of the runoff from a Public Highway, and secondly, you're already paying for that through taxation. Their problem, they need to sort it, get onto your Councillor and threaten to involve the local press if no action is forthcoming. (Councils hate bad press!)

Secondly, piping surface water into foul drainage is strictly frowned upon now, unless it is an absolute last resort..... All other options must be ruled out first, i.e. soakaway, storm drain etc.

Lastly, all underground drainage should be run in 110mm pipe, trying to connect to anything smaller will soon result in a blockage..... The hopper you have needs attaching to a 'tick' or 'P' type trap before connection to the onward run of drainage. Connecting, especially to a foul drainage run, without a trap not only will allow the drain to vent foul air at ground level, but will also contravene building regulations!

What exactly is wrong with the drainage on the road?

Just blocked?

Tony

I would be getting back onto Highways and kicking some backsides, you have no legal obligation to be getting rid of the runoff from a Public Highway, and secondly, you're already paying for that through taxation. Their problem, they need to sort it, get onto your Councillor and threaten to involve the local press if no action is forthcoming. (Councils hate bad press!)

Secondly, piping surface water into foul drainage is strictly frowned upon now, unless it is an absolute last resort..... All other options must be ruled out first, i.e. soakaway, storm drain etc.

Lastly, all underground drainage should be run in 110mm pipe, trying to connect to anything smaller will soon result in a blockage..... The hopper you have needs attaching to a 'tick' or 'P' type trap before connection to the onward run of drainage. Connecting, especially to a foul drainage run, without a trap not only will allow the drain to vent foul air at ground level, but will also contravene building regulations!

Cheers for that, i am considering just terminating to a soakaway / general lawn area in the back where its not a problem, would this work?

What exactly is wrong with the drainage on the road?

Just blocked?

Tony

The gulley seems to have sunk in part and as a result of this the continuity of it is broken by my drive, allowing it to discharge all over my drive! View media item 71222

I'd dig a test hole before doing anything else, if you're on clay soil a soakaway is most likely going to fill up, and stay full.... (Especially with present climate in some parts....)

If subsoil offers a decent percolation rate, (i.e. water disappears fairly quickly) then you might stand a chance, otherwise if the water goes nowhere fast, you'll be wasting your time and money..... :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back