Drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just wondering if this is right. My toilet alone is in an iron cast drain pipe at the back of the house. Everything else. The bath, sink, kitchen sink, roof guttering all drain into a grid at the back corner of the house. Will this all drain into a sewer or should that drain at the back only be for rainwater etc?

Sponsored Links
I'm making the assumption that your property is quite old and the drainage system will be a combined system.
More modern properties run separate systems and you would not expect both RW and FW in the same gulley.

Anything built pre circa 1950 will probably be on a 'combined' drainage system, soil, waste and rain water all went into the same sewer. Original idea was before modern sewage treatment methods came about, the massive increase in flow during heavy rain was used to flush the sewers out and wash down the leachfield where the effluent was discharged.

If you’ve got any inspection chamber covers you can lift, you may be able to check and confirm

Sponsored Links
Anything built pre circa 1950 will probably be on a 'combined' drainage system, soil, waste and rain water all went into the same sewer. Original idea was before modern sewage treatment methods came about, the massive increase in flow during heavy rain was used to flush the sewers out and wash down the leachfield where the effluent was discharged.
It was in the 60's when it really started to be used, although it didn't really become common place till the 70's,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back