8 Mar 2010
Reaction score
United Kingdom

The drain that our washing machine & kitchen sink empty in to recently started to back up. This weekend I bailed it out & I think it goes to a soakaway rather than into the sewer system. The house is about 15years old. Is this allowed? There is a conservatory between the drain & the nearest connection to the main sewer pipe. If a soakaway isnt allowed, I would have to run a pipe around the conservatory under the patio, would this be acceptable?

Sponsored Links
It is not acceptable to have any foul water discharging into a soakaway.

Firstly is it a trapped gully that the pipes empty into - if so is the trap clear?

Are there any inspection chambers (manholes) nearby?

Anyhoo, it is acceptable to run the pipe around a building provided that you have adequate falls and a means of rodding or access to each 90 degree bend.

Also i would advise an inspection chamber at the point of connection onto the main run.
Thanks so much for your reply.

Upon further investigation, no trap, just a 1.5m hole straight down from the sink outlet!!!! Its not even a proper soakaway.

Ive measured up & I could get enough drop to run pipe round the conservatory underground. Do I have to use the 110mm red/brown pipe, Ive read that 40mm pipe is O.K for grey water but not sure if this applies for pipes below ground.

Thanks again for your help.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local