United Kingdom
I have an older house with a concrete
driveway. When it rains, the water puddles
up in a corner of the garage instead of
draining down the driveway and out to the
road. How can I solve this problem wihtout
having the existing driveway redone?

Sponsored Links
The only way to resolve the issue without relaying the driveway is to chip up a central drainage channel from the low point (your garage) to the bottom of the drive.

Rather than chip use an angle grinder. Could you cut a drainage channel with grill across drive near garage?

Thanks for the idea. Do you think it's
possible to cut out the area and
patch it with new concrete to where it
slopes away from the garage?

Sponsored Links
Yes but you would still have to have the effect of a channel since the new concrete would have to dip towards the middle to allow the water to drain away from your garage. However, might be difficult to do as the concrete will settle slightly once dry and car weights are applied to it. A drainage channel with a grill across the front of the garage would be more effective, look better and be easier to do.

Do not dispair if you get an uneven edge. I have successfully bonded new concrete to old by using a bonding admixture such as Febond SBR. I paint this to the old concrete face (mixed with cement as instructions ). This prevents a visible hairline crack as concrete sets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back