Draining a Microbore System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all...

Well where do I start ?? I'm a complete novice with anything to do with heating systems, and any other plumbing type of work, so can I ask you use basic english please as I'll probably not understand much plumbing lingo :p

I have a microbore system (1970's flat) the rad in the bedroom is leaking, I've established it's the rad valve that's leaking and not the inlet/outlet valve of the system. Given it's winter and the missus is complaining it's cold in the room (believe me she covers up enough without the heating being off in the bedroom!!!!) I've decided to remove the rad and put a new one in.

Have been to a local plumbing centre today to be told I need to drain the system to remove the rad. (the rad to be replaced is a single inlet/outlet type, which I believe they do not make anymore?). The boiler has a tank above it which from what I can see and read does feed the mail system.

The boiler can be plugged in to heat without having the heating on, and not too sure where the main system is..... I assume the main system will need shutting off prior to any work being commenced ??

I know it sounds daft but once I find the main system, how can I ascertain if it's gas or electric ?? Also I've read if it's a close system I'll need a plumber ?? How can I tell if it's a close system or not ??

As it's a flat all rads on one level, only have three rads and a towel rail...

Also being honest with me, is it easy setting new pipes as I'd like to replace the bedroom rad with a new rad ie one inlet and a separate outlet, and pipe in additional pipes for the new rad. Hence the need to drain the system

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Mark

Sponsored Links
to put it in a nice way without offending any body i would get a plumber in if was you.

reading your post you are totally lost if you can't tell if your system is electric or gas your going to have problems.

microbore is not the best to learn on. ;)

Quite honestly, this bloke is the reason for Corgi regs and Part P :eek:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back