draining and re-filling a glow worm economy plus 40b system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leaky radiator is in need of repair, my step dad is fairly competent with plumbing, but my boiler is like some thing that you would probably find displayed in a museum exhibit (glow worm economy plus 40b) i'm worried that draining the system will open a can of worms, repair wise. Is it likely re.fillin and re-lighting will be problematic? If someone could provide instructions for cutting off gas/water feed and draining/re-filling so as to reduce the risk, I would be very very grateful, this annoying drip is stopping me from completing the decorating lol. Many many thanks in advance for any help and advice offered. Tony

Sponsored Links
turn off the water or tie up the ballvalve in the header (small) tank usually in the loft

turn power off to boiler

look for one of these View media item 14822
attach hose open valve

once part drained open rad bleed/s to drain

while your at it

it wouldnt be a bad idea to add some cleanser on refilling

and leave in a while before draining ;)

thanks for your prompt response, the tank is in upstairs bedroom but was a little concerned as says do not drain on it, which is what threw me. Do i drain from the boiler, the rad at the lowest point or the tank as they all have drain valves on them, sorry if i'm asking questions that may be very obvious only my step dad will steam in at it were as i like to be a bit better armed wiv info from ppl that know what there doin lol

also do i need to turn off boiler gas supply, and do i need to turn off water at the mains or just tie up ball cock. Thanks again

Sponsored Links
no need to turn off gas

tie ballvalve up will suffice

drain at the lowest point

the do not drain on the tank means it has inhibitor in or has had at some time ;)

well that was fairly uneventful, apart from the washer in drain valve being brittle (found this out when re-filling system lol)bled each rad starting upstairs and working round to lowest point. Only problem is the pump is very noisy and I feel like i'm in an ep of most haunted when pipes start banging :D also not all rad's r at same temperature, some hot and some only cool,but the ones that get hot are different each time i light boiler,will this rectify itself if i bleed rad's daily? Or is there somewere that need's bleeding close to the pump/boiler! Many many thanks again in advance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back