Draining and refilling a combi system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to drain my CH in order to remove a radiator. I did my old conventional type many times, but its a first for my new combi, it's a Baxi Combi 105 HE.

Also how do I refill. I know about the pressure guage to maintain 1-1.5 bar.

Sponsored Links
If you just want to remove a rad, you could just turn the valves off, loosen the chrome nut between the rad and valve, and drain into a tray. Cat litter tray is ideal.

When drained, if you undo the 2 nuts between rad and valves completely, the rad should just lift off. Make sure that if you have a thermostatic valve on the rad that it is turnedd to off, or remove its head and fit a decorators cap to it.

However if you need to drain down

Isolate power to boiler.

Locate drain cock under one of the lower rads or under boiler. Attach hose to stub, and turn square head of drain cock anti-clockwise.

Undo a couple of bleed screws on highest/upstairs rads to aid draining.

To refill system after closing rad bleed screws and drain cock, find the filling loop (flexi pipe with 2 small taps) on pipes under boiler. Open both taps until pressure is 1.5 bar. Close loop taps.

Bleed a couple of rads (upstairs first), then repressurise with loop. Keep bleeding 2 rads and repressurising until all rads bled.

Run system and check for leaks. Re-check pressure after 24/48 hrs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back