Draining central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

Over the weekend I need to drain down the central heating system. This is the only thing I can find which looks like a drain point (picture rotated 90° sorry):

Does that look like a drain point? I think that's what it is. Does anyone recognise the specifc type, becuase I just can't get in there to see what tool I'd need to open it. Something into the hole on the end?

If I can't get into it I'll disconnect a downstairs radiator but it'll be messy so I'd like to use the drain point if I can.

Thanks!
-Mark

Sponsored Links
It does look like a drain off but i would be very surprised if it worked! Looks like a wheelhead from a gate valve might open/close it.

If thats the only drain off id be inclined to remove a rad downstairs and use the rad valve to drain from. You can then fit a new drain off in a convenient place before you refill.

Thanks petit_pablo - that's what I did in the end.

You were also right about fitting a more convenient drain-off, and after draining down about 5 times to fix leaks, I really wished I'd followed that bit of advice!

-Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back