draining combi heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , i have fitted a drain off valve on 1 radiator downstairs, connected a hose to drain off, other end i put down a drain ( drain drops down a couple of feet)
but no water comes out , i tried bleeding the bleed valves upstairs still no water, (only the water coming from the bleed valves)

i have a combi boiler upstairs , the radiators downstairs are fed by a manifold microbore pipes droping down to downstairs radiators,
i thought with my manifold system i could drain the 1 drain of radiator & the upstairs radiators , what am i doing wrong

Sponsored Links
The jumper may be stuck down inside the draincock. Is it a soldered fitting if so did you remove the jumper before soldering?

Did you open the vent on the rad that you were draining?

Are both valves open on the rad that you are draining?

The jumper may be stuck down inside the draincock. Is it a soldered fitting if so did you remove the jumper before soldering?

Did you open the vent on the rad that you were draining?

Are both valves open on the rad that you are draining?
hi, armo74 the fitting I bought was a compression type
opened vent on rad but only for a short time because of the water coming from vent, so opened fitting to release water then opened upstairs vents still no joy
both valves were open
tried this before last week & it drained okay

I would say the jumpers stuck down then.

You may have to take the rad off and attach a hosepipe fitting to the valve to drain down.

Once drained you can remove the draincock and strip it down to check it.

It might also be a good idea when you have the rad off to open the valves into a bucket to make sure there is no blockage.

Sponsored Links
I would say the jumpers stuck down then.

You may have to take the rad off and attach a hosepipe fitting to the valve to drain down.

Once drained you can remove the draincock and strip it down to check it.

It might also be a good idea when you have the rad off to open the valves into a bucket to make sure there is no blockage.

I just put a cup under drain valve & opened it, water came out no problem,
but when I attach a hose pipe it wont drain

don't understand it ,I tried the hose again & could hear the water coming out (sorted,) don't know what I did

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back