draining down & recharging a closed combi boiler CH syst

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me how I should go about draing down my CH syem so that I can fit a towl radiator in the bathroom on 1st floor. Most advice sites say that if your system is unvented and I guess being diven off the combiboiler it is, then it is an expert job.

Many Thanks in advance,

MHT

Sponsored Links
first of all turn your boiler off so boiler doesn't run then shut your water off and close all your radiator(rads) valves off at each end, to stop draining the rads because they should have a corrosion inhibitor in the water and also save time draining. then find a drain cock on the rad flow or returns attach a hosepipe then drain. check to see if any water comes out then wait till finished draining you should then be able to work off the flow and return pipes. when the towel rail is installed make sure your drain cock is closed again and all the valves. turn your water back on, and on your boiler underneath charge your pressure up usually 1-1.5 bar pressure usually by a filling loop (important refer to boiler instructions about this procedure) then open the valves on your towel rail so it fills up bleeding the air out at the same time then recharge your boiler again because the pressure would have dropped open all valves turn on boiler bleed all rads and recharge the boiler pressure if need be (most likely) hope this helps

holty said:
first of all turn your boiler off so boiler doesn't run then shut your water off and close all your radiator(rads) valves off at each end, to stop draining the rads because they should have a corrosion inhibitor in the water and also save time draining. then find a drain cock on the rad flow or returns attach a hosepipe then drain. check to see if any water comes out then wait till finished draining you should then be able to work off the flow and return pipes. when the towel rail is installed make sure your drain cock is closed again and all the valves. turn your water back on, and on your boiler underneath charge your pressure up usually 1-1.5 bar pressure usually by a filling loop (important refer to boiler instructions about this procedure) then open the valves on your towel rail so it fills up bleeding the air out at the same time then recharge your boiler again because the pressure would have dropped open all valves turn on boiler bleed all rads and recharge the boiler pressure if need be (most likely) hope this helps

Many Thanks for the advice,

One more thing, When you say bleed the air out of the towel radiator do you think it's best to crack open the bleed screw at the top of the radiator first then open the valves to the towel radiator until water comes out or to allow the radiator to fill then crack open the valve and let any air out or is that the same thing?!

MHT

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back