Draining Down The Combi System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to drain down my central heating system (Combi) for 2 weeks whilst building work is taking place on my house extension.
I have a small water heater for hot water so i'm OK there.

Is it actually OK to leave the system drained down for 2 weeks?

Shall I take any precautions? Will it be of a detriment to the system?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why not isolate the combi and still use it for hot water?

I dont understand why you want to drai n it anyway.

I would be isolating every rad thus keeping the existing water and inhibitor and preventing any rusting on the inside of the rads!

Tony

Thanks for the reply.

Lots of pipe work is going to be re routed on the ground floor of my house so it will be easier to drain it fully.

I do not want the builders to get stuck and start touching my boiler or tread on pipes whilst the floor is up.

I'm at work whilst they are working so I want to make it as simple for them as possible - the plumber is coming at the end of the week to re route the pipe work before the floor goes back down.

Will draining

Why not isolate the combi and still use it for hot water?

I dont understand why you want to drain it anyway.

I would be isolating every rad thus keeping the existing water and inhibitor and preventing any rusting on the inside of the rads!

Tony

Doing what I have suggested above will enable just the pipework to be drained and worked on and let the boiler continue to provide hot water and keep the rads full!

I see that as a better solution and thought it would be useful advice for you but then I am only a heating engineer and you would probably call me an ignorant plumber!

Now, I am not sure why you are asking, if you are not interested in the advice you get. If you know better then you dont need to be asking.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I do not want the builders to get stuck and start touching my boiler or tread on pipes whilst the floor is up.

I'm at work whilst they are working so I want to make it as simple for them as possible -

Obviously you dont have much confidence in the care and attention of your chosen builders! Most East Europeans are quite good!

Because you are not there then you have to make it "simple for them". That implies that you are considerably more expert at building than they are even though thats what they do every week of the year.

In spite of that, what I have suggested would, in my most humble " ignorant plumber's" opinion still be the most simple way of doing it.

Tony

Sorry I should have ,made myself clearer.

2 rads are also going to be moved as the wall that they are on is being removed.

I'm going to drain down the whole system I just need to know if doing this will be of detriment to the system or are there any precautions that I should take (I don't want to cause internal corrosion.

Tony - I respect your opinion and did not mean in any way to offend you and hope you can advise me further.
PS- I'm not living in the house yet so heating is not a problem.

Thanks

Planemad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back