Is it OK to have hot water with a drained sealed system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on replacing all the old radiators in my house. I have a combi boiler and was wondering, as it might take a couple of days, is it OK to drain the central heating system but leave the boiler on so we can have hot water? Obviously I'd turn the boiler to 'water only'.

Sponsored Links
you could but it's not advisable

1 after hot water demand the boiler dumps residual heat into the heating system

if it has nowhere to go the boiler will overheat

2 if you close the isolater valves under the boiler they will probably start to leak

:cry:

No, you need a htg circuit to pressurise the boiler.

You could connect a coil of plastic pic as a temp, but hardly seems worth the effort.

It all depends on which boiler you have.

I would say that with virtually ALL boilers you can pressurise it and use it for hot water only while you change your rads.

In spite of what the others say I do it regularly and have never had any problems.

I have seen several Biasis and a Performa used as a hot water unit with no rads connected. On one the installer had connected a pipe between the flow and return, the others were capped off. BUT these boilers have a built in bypass.

If your boiler has a built in bypass then I would say just do it.

If you are not sure, or it has not, then temporarily looping the flow and return together.

Tony

Sponsored Links
And how much would a new boiler in Argyle cost if it all goes tits up.

agile said:
I have seen several Biasis and a Performa used as a hot water unit with no rads connected. On one the installer had connected a pipe between the flow and return, the others were capped off. BUT these boilers have a built in bypass.

can't see what difference a built in bypass will make at best 150mm of 8mm tube

It enables a flow through the heat exchanger to prevent it overheating as a result of the latent heat contained in it following a demand for DHW..

Tony

It increases the water in the boiler from about 65° to say 85°.

Tony

Thanks everyone for your help. Think I'll err on the side of caution and leave it off.

If you look in the MI it will tell you whether it can or can't.

Post the make/model and we will know as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back