Draining heating system query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A2548128-38E9-44B7-8EB8-45F53AAA3AD2.jpeg
Hi there

I’m looking to drain my central heating system just to do a little pipe work. Normally I would drain the system as a whole from the drain point on the radiator by the front door. I don’t mind doing that again, but I did wonder if turning the radiators off and draining just the pipework would suffice, then I noticed the 2 valves circled on the boiler on the ch flow and return pipes. I know it may sound daft, but would closing these keep the water in the boiler too meaning even less water to drain? My only concern is that they've not been used in the 13 years we’ve lived at the house, so I’d hate to break them or them not reopen. I know it’s lazy and I’ve got to the drain the system again soon to fit a new radiator but for this brief bit of pipework I need to do I did hope I could keep it to a minimum.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't touch the boilers isolators. The amount of water in the boiler is hardly worth considering. As you intend to do a full drain down in the not too disant future anyway , make sure you add inhibitor then.

Not sure what the boiler is but in general, the advice would be NOT to touch the valves. Very high likelihood that they will leak afterwards.

Sponsored Links
Brilliant!! Thankyou both for the answers..!! I’ll leave well alone and just drain as I normally do.. it’s just a bit of laziness really I suppose..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back