Draining system but drain cock above boiler on ground floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am replacing a 1st floor bathroom radiator with a towel rail. This requires some modification to the pipework, which is 10mm microbore.

I have read the forum on draining the system, but none of my ground floor radiators, or the connecting 10mm microbore pipework or rad valves, have a drain plug fitted.

The only one I can see is on a 22mm pipe which goes into the top of the wall mounted boiler, which is obviously not the lowest point in the system.

I believe the system is free vented. I also think the ground floor radiators may be served from the first floor as ground floor is solid.

Is what I have described possible? And if so how can I drain the system, or modify the pipework without draining it?

Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated:confused:

Sponsored Links
You don't need to drain the system below the level that you intend to work on. If there are no convenient drain points, you can drain at one of the radiator connections - maybe the one your replacing would be a good idea. Just shut the iso valves on rad, undo union nuts, catch water with shallow bowls/trays, etc. , remove rad and then drain pipework via detached rad valves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back