draining system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
i have a combi boiler and need to drain the central heating system down,
can anyone advise on the best way to do this ?

does it matter which downstairs rad you drain from?

how do i prevent air lock?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Turn boiler off and drain from lowest drain off. Open air vents in rads starting with upstairs then downstairs when the water has drained below air vent level.

Don't forget to add new inhibitor when re-filling system ;)

thanks for that,

do i need to turn the water off at the stopcock or anything?

i think all my downstairs rads are about the same level,
so can i drain from any of these?

cheers

No. As it is a combi it is only connected to the cold mains by its own filling loop, whether it is a serperate loop or maybe built in combi depending which make you have.

Any rad will do :)

Sponsored Links
You need to add inhibitor to the system first, possibly via a radiator, then pressurise your combi to around 1.5 bar then go to each radiator and let then bleed from air vent. You may find this stops after a few radiators, so go back to boiler and re-pressurise again this time only to about 1 bar and repeat process.

What boiler do you have? When you first turn boiler on set thermostat to low setting. Boiler will be noisy at first then quieten as air is pushed around. Then go around rads again after about 30 mins to bleed again. Check rads again after about 1 week or if any are cold at top ;)

If it is a new ecotec plus then you have to let the boiler purge the heating system via the built in program. If an older model then it should be ok ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back