Draining the Central Heating System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I want to drain the central heating system to insert sludge remover and inhibitor. Now have have gone through the system twice and cannot find a draincock. Central heating was installed in the late 80's. Now if this is the case and the drain cock does not exist, what is the quickest alternative to draining the system. I know probably a drain cock will have to be inserted at some time, so where is the best place to fit this for future reference. I do have a feed and expansion tank in the loft.
Any help and information you can give me would be apprecaited.

Charley

Sponsored Links
turn rad valves off
drain and remove rad
attach hose to valve 1/2"" or 3/4"" bsp
open valve and drain system

fit drain tap on the lowest point you can gain acess to

kevplumb said:
turn rad valves off
drain and remove rad
attach hose to valve 1/2"" or 3/4"" bsp
open valve and drain system

fit drain tap on the lowest point you can gain acess to

Kevin. Should I use the radiator at the lowest point, and furthest from the boiler, or does it matter. Do I close ALLl radiator valves in the house or the one that I am draining from.

Cheers Charley

any rad that is drop fed should have a drain fitted
or lowest rad

if you close all the valves the water will stay in the rads

so if you want to flush the system just close the rad you are draining from

Sponsored Links
Don't forget to stop the supply of water to the Central Heating system or you'll be draining until infinity

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back