Drainoff cock washer

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have not yet had to rewasher one. How do you do it? I have a mixture of the brass ones with the square-ended spindle, and a few of those radiator valves with the spigot on them.

If I have a spare DOC to hand, can I unscrew the innards from my new one and screw it into the existing DOC, then work on the old innards later?

Sponsored Links
John, the problem is invariably that the variety of threads on DOC innards is so large that one never has the one needed at the right moment.

Rewashering is a doddle - just like a washer on a tap valve body. With practice you'll be able to keep a finger on the hole where the innards go (with a hose still on the spout of course), and remove/renew the washer using the other 7 fingers and 2 thumbs. ;)

This is the oldest one still in use. I have rad valves with drains on the downstairs rads, but the rooms above the garage won't empty unless I use this one too. It feels a bit sticky and needs to be tightened very hard or it drips. When I took the plug out I see no washer, just a thin metal disk. Is there a washer inside somewhere? What should I do with it?

DSCF0104.jpg

DSCF0105.jpg

This is the oldest one still in use.
That type isn't obsolete.

It feels a bit sticky and needs to be tightened very hard or it drips.
Assuming that you're referring to the drain off cock, the washer has probably become brittle and not able to seal.

When I took the plug out I see no washer, just a thin metal disk. Is there a washer inside somewhere?
Yes.

What should I do with it?
Two options:

1. Poke around inside and retrieve the bits; then rewasher and reassemble.
2. Unscrew the entire DOC from the 1/2" female iron adaptor and screw in a new one.

Sponsored Links
The screw-in is firmly cemented into place with old compound, but I have got the old washer bits out, it looked like it was going to be a 3/8" tap washer but appears to be some slightly smaller size not available in my little high street or nearby shed.

Do I have to find a plumby merchant and buy a box of 1,000?

whittle, whittle, whittle, damn! cut my thumb off :mad:

Available in blister packs of about 10 I think from all good plumbers merchants.

So I'll have to drive into Portsmouth on Tuesday :eek:

I went to the big B&Q and got a screw-in cock that looks the same, but the plug has a smaller washer on the end. The 3/8" tap washer is too big to go past the thread unless I hammer it in, so will probably jam and prevent future draining.

It's snowing here FFS and my CH is drained :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

All I want is a rubber washer the size of my fingernail :mad:

I think I'll cut the pipe and put an old rad valve on the stub, with a hose connector.

Got some in the van John :rolleyes: :LOL:

Type A drain off usually has a standard drain off washer on it.

Ha ha! :D

At last a spot of undeserved luck!

I was rummaging in my Plumbing box for the pipeslice... and found an old, unused drain-off Tee. Must have been in there for years waiting until it "came in handy"

The plug is a bit shorter, but the same size and has the same washer on it. So i have poked that up and untied my ball-cock.

Now I can see how many of my new TRVs leak...

a better option in that position would be a full bore drain valve, rig up a bit of pipe connected to a hose by jubilee clip and fitted in the valve to drain, remove the 15mm compression nut/pipe/hose when not in use

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back