Drains and water repairs from the same van?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At work I did 12 years repairing drains then last year they decided to get me a water hygiene card and send me out doing water repairs.

I just had a call from the office asking me to go and unblock a drain, I refused because as far as I'm concerned my van is for water repairs and working on a drain would risk contamination.

Next thing my boss phones me 'Why you refusing work', and ended with 'There is legislation that says you can'. I called bullshit and said as soon as he showed me the legislation I would go and unblock the drain.

Is he talking from his backside or is he right? Everything I learned on the hygiene course tells me he is wrong.

Sponsored Links
So you believe that it's not legal for somebody to, for example, clear a drain and then go onto the next job to change a tap or make a repair to pipework?

Sponsored Links
So you believe that it's not legal for somebody to, for example, clear a drain and then go onto the next job to change a tap or make a repair to pipework?

I think they could if the van was set out right with seperate sealed zones for the different kit and all the equipment to sanitize it. My van isn't like that, not by a mile.

He has since sent me a document that's written by Scottish Water about their enployees being Multi Functional. I told him I would beat it in mind if I ever either go to Scotland or work for Scottish Water.

The course they sent me in was EUSR National Water Hygene.

Do you seperate all your gear?

My tools are kept in separate tool boxes/bag. One specifically contains tools for working on foul pipework and is kept in in a specific location in the van. Rods are in a watertight storage tube. Foul PPE is kept in a specific storage container. Hand wash and sanitiser alway available.

I would also draw a distinction between foul and grey water

When I say water repairs I mean repairs to water supply pipes rather than taps.

Stuff like this which was the day I refused the other job.

image.jpeg

It ****ed me off because first I was in Stafford, 80 miles from home. They asked me to unblock the drain before I even got to the water job. On the water job I had to locate the leak, exco in the driveway where I could hear it. It turned out to be under the house so I dug inside too, posted a new section through, piped up with new stoptap. Then backfill and reinstate both before another 80mile trip home. That's on my own and I have to write a report on the laptop for every job too.

On the drains I felt I was a professional. On the water I feel like a bodger.

are you looking to get fired? failure to carry out the reasonable requests of your employer is grounds for disciplinary procedures. You wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

I'm looking to do my job properly.

If they get me lockers for my clothes, sanitisers for my tools, proper storage for equipment etc... I'd happily do it.

As I'm set up now they can do one. If I give someone a water born disease due to contamination who will be in trouble? Me, because I'm trained to know better.

so surely that's how you respond. i.e. happy to do the work but as i'm currently set up there is a risk of xyz blah blah so you'd have to provide either sanitisers etc or send me an email saying you acknowledge and accept the risk

simple.

I'd like to read something official before I tell them exactly what I need.

The Scottish Water thing read well but was specific to them. I work in United Utilities and Severn Trent areas.

Sponsored Links
Back