Central Heating Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I need some advice. I thought my boiler was leaking so I asked the bloke that installed it (20 months ago) to come out and have a look. I specifically asked him (though didn't tell him it was the reason) as I had expected a free repair if it was a result of his workmanship. I had to wait two days for him to become available for this.

I wasn't in at the time and when I asked him how he got on he told me had fixed it and the leak was actually coming from the water filter installed directly above the boiler. I should note at this point that I asked him to look at the boiler but wasn't explicit either way about it being fixed. There was no communication between inspection and repair.

He says he has repaired rather replaced the filter so assume that leak is as a result of poor workmanship rather than the quality of the filter (fernox).

Whilst he was there he also serviced the boiler (which I didn't ask him to do).

I haven't yet received the invoice but the plumber advises its on its way. The wife thinks I'm being unreasonable by refusing to pay him.

My questions are:
- should I pay him for the repair (I don't know how much it is yet)? I would have expected his installation to hold up longer and if he was to charge me he didn't even give me the opportunity to get quotes first.
- should I pay him for the service when I didn't ask for it?
- how do I even know he has completed the service, as I wasn't home I didn't observe?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I agree with your wife.
Wow... Thanks for the insight. Do you have any objective reasoning behind that? Such as: "You should only expect a soldered joint to last for 20 months" or "plumbers should be allowed to do and invoice for whatever work they choose" - I mean why didn't he just go ahead and do a power flush as well and charge for that?

So you called him out to a leak. Then after travelling to the job and finding the leak, you then expect him to call you up and wait round while you decide if you could get someone else to repair the leak for cheaper? Even though you didn't mention this to him? Not to mention the fact though you originally criticised him because you had to "wait two days for him to become available". Can't have been in such a rush for him to come if you were prepared to get a number of 'quotes' for a simple repair.

Fair enough about the service as he shouldn't have done it if not requested. Although i'm guessing maybe he assumed one hadn't been done since installation so it was overdue? Seems like a lack of communication on both sides. Have you tried speaking to him and telling him your concerns in a reasoned manner?

What exactly was leaking? Usually poor workmanship would mean the leak would show up faster than after nearly 2 years.

Sponsored Links
Are you not concerned that the warranty on the boiler relies upon an annual service.

Disregarding any argument over whether he should bill for the repair - quite often a service with no parts may be no more expensive than a minimum charge.

Would it not have been sensible to have asked about potential for charges before calling him out, then scarpering when he was due?

Do you seriously expect someone to call out for a small job then bugger off, leaving the leak, just to return if you honour him with the job?

Thanks for the responses. I was expecting a soldered joint for last a while - my logic being that no other joints on my plumbing system have leaked in the past 3 years (since I've owned the house) - but maybe that's just bad luck and as you say I should pay up.

I think I'm just bitter because, on a different note, my mechanic charged me £40 last year to replace a light bulb and wiper without asking me - would have cost me £6 to do the same job. Back on topic however - I can't solder joints (yet).

Still not sure what to do about the annual service - maybe I will just wait for the invoice and go from there.

Thanks again.

Ps the leak was actually on a 22mm elbow joint fitted between the filter and boiler. It was installed by the plumber in quite a tight formation (his choice) and I just wondered if he made it difficult for himself to get the flux evenly all the way round the joint.

Sorry Jonny, but I think you need to look carefully at the way you've approached this problem. Just because you got stitched up by the mechanic, doesn't mean you shouldn't treat the plumber fairly. You assumed that it was a faulty joint, and that you therefore deserved a free repair, and by not discussing the situation with the plumber, it all went to pot. Okay, you didn't ask the plumber to do the service, but because you weren't upfront about the situation, he just used his initiative and got on with it, but yes, he should have checked with you first. But let's be honest, you haven't even got the bill, and you're looking for a reason not to pay it, and if you can't trust him, then why are you using him in the first place - or is lack of trust an issue with you.

A service doesn't take long, so wait for the bill and see how reasonable it is. But next time, either be there when he comes, or ask him to contact you to agree any work and costs before he does anything.

The lightbulb job...of course you would do it cheaper....no labour charge involved!

With an attitude like yours and your ambiguous instructions to the plumber I'd suggest that you thank your lucky stars that a decent bloke has turned up, sorted the issues out & prolonged the life of your boiler by servicing it.

Listen to your wife, stop being a tight-ass, pay the invoice and move on in a less grumpy frame of mind.

Sponsored Links
Back