boiler service quotes, costs and problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello

we have a problem with the boiler here. my mum contacted a boiler repairman and he came round and started work. I asked him for a quote and he ignored me. is this normal? don't trades men have an hourly rate or is it by the job. if he doesn't know the job I understand that he cant quote. but he got a little defensive when I asked for a quote. I work as an electrician. and people ask me how long most of the time. I say a rough estimate. this could provide a basic cost. I don't mind saying how long and the basic cost.
I don't know anything about boilers but I would like to get a quote before hand and some idea what could be wrong and the possible cost. I took my car to a repair shop and they quoted £780 and it will fail the mot without this work, I took my car to mot they said £230, I did the jobs myself for less than £100. so I think that there is some reason for concern. I don't want my parents paying out for something that could be fixed at home or for a lesser cost and certainly don't want to be taken for a ride.
what is expected or what should I expect from a boiler repair man?
should I be allowed an answer?
when I asked about the quote he said "whos paying for it? you?". I then asked further and he ignored me. is there anything wrong with getting a basic quote. he told me that there was a problem with the vessel and that could cost £100 to repair. he also mentioned that a new clock would cost £40.

what should I expect?

thanks
peter

Sponsored Links
I think the simple rule is to ask what the charges are BEFORE they start work. I guess the fact that you asked the boilerman after ha had started made him think you were chasing him to finish and get out? Also, as you hadn't been the one to instruct him that may have also put him on the defensive.

Hard to say without being there but if you are clear from the outset what the charging scale is, then there is less likelihood of misunderstanding.

Sponsored Links
Peter you were standing over the top of the poor guy, bending his ear before he could properly diagnose the problem with the boiler & you wonder why he ignored you??? Get real!!!

It's a highly skilled trade, not like a Spark - just pulling your wire all day!!

We are expert in Gas, Water & electronics. That have huge on-costs for training & test equipment.

Try & fix a boiler yourself & you could kill someone.

he charged £385 for about hour and a half. is that good?

he told me that there was a problem with the vessel and that could cost £100 to repair. he also mentioned that a new clock would cost £40.
So £140 minimum parts? And he charged how much labour? Sounds a little less dramatic.

no, he said £40 for a new clock which we didn't want. it could cost £100 if it was broke, it wasn't.
£385 for whatever he did, my mum didn't ask for a receipt or a list of jobs that he completed. I have no way of knowing what he did.

And we are all judging this on one side of the Story I'm sure the Engineer in question has a story to tell as well!! things are often not all they seem! and jumping to conclusions is never a good idea! :confused:

Could all do with customers like u!!! Surely you want to know exactly what he did so you can find out if your having ur leg pulled or not? Did u not give him the 3rd degree before you paid the bloke?
If it was me, providing your not a bellend and stood over my shoulder etc made me a brew. I would explain what I've done/will be doing to sort the issue and a roundabout price providing there is a straightforward solution obviously if things aren't that easy or things go wrong...cust is advised an go from there. I tend to show people what parts I've changed or a good explanation if no parts are changed unless they're not interested which is fine by me, it's their ££££.

In regards to someone saying its a highly skilled trade - fair enough, but slagging electricians off I think is out of order. I would say they are on par. Both as dangerous as each other if worked on by people who don't know what they are doing!

Peter you were standing over the top of the poor guy, bending his ear before he could properly diagnose the problem with the boiler & you wonder why he ignored you??? Get real!!!

It's a highly skilled trade, not like a Spark - just pulling your wire all day!!

We are expert in Gas, Water & electronics. That have huge on-costs for training & test equipment.

Try & fix a boiler yourself & you could kill someone.
I've read some *******s on here but that post wins the day.

Sponsored Links
Back