Damp proofing cost for unspecified work (not completed)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

New to this forum and in desperate need of advice. I had a builder do some damp proofing work for me in my house. I live alone and was starting to panic a wee bit about the damp (it’s an old house) and this builder seemed to really know his stuff. He quoted me 10k for damp proofing of two walls, replacing some rotten joist edges, filling some render cracks, replacing two vents and then plastering the bottom of both walls again. A lot of work I am sure but 10k did seem a lot. The problem is he still has to come back to finish the job as keeps cancelling. My other concern is that he will not provide me with a breakdown of costs. All he has given me is an email with total. He says he doesn’t provide a breakdown of cost and that no tradesman will do that. But all I want to know is where my 10k has gone. Am I right to ask for this? Please help a clueless gal out :(

Sponsored Links
Cost breakdowns should be sought before a project is started, especially if you are querying the costs. You've already accepted the 10k quote,

However there should be no reason not to provide one now.

With damp proofing you need to really understand the actual cause,

As he has not completed the work I'm hoping you havnt paid him all the funds yet..

He initially quoted me 6k and then went ahead and pulled up flooring to see what was going on underneath. He then told me the joists were rotten and it would be another 4K to fix it. I felt really stuck and he told me it was serious and would need done ASAP and that it was only way to sort the damp. So I went ahead on good judgement. I paid him half then half at end (but then he told me he would have to come back to fix plaster so that is still to be done). I feel like an idiot. I have dealt with lovely tradesmen all my life but never someone who deals with damp and I was worried it was really serious. I think I’ve been had a wee bit!

Also I should add that in terms of a warranty, all he has done is provide me with an email that literally says ‘work guaranteed for 25 years’ no actual paperwork for warranty or is the email suffice?

Sponsored Links
He said it was rising damp and also caused by poor ventilation?

Is the house old enough not to have an effective DPC?

It would be very rare for "just regular" rising damp to rot out joists.

Try to find out if any other stuff was resolved... Like bridged cavity, or bridged dpc, blocked vents or broken drains. This might then give you peace of mind that money was spent on something and the issue is truly solved

F0B36663-D948-4873-B72B-F0BC9E86E2B2.png
I’m not sure at all. I just went on the advice of the builder. This is also how they left my walls and the plaster is rough and you can see trowel lines and lumps. Surely this isn’t correct? Will I be able to sand it myself maybe?

Sponsored Links
Back