Drains blocked under road by previous owner

Thanks for all your feedback, it's been very useful.

I think this means that I am going to be better off trying to get a professional drain company to try to clear it because the risk of Thames Water deciding just to dig the road up and charge me for several thousand pounds is too horrendous to contemplate.

Yes but surely Thames Water would inform you in advance of the work should they decide to charge for the job.

I'm sure they would if it were our drains and we were requesting the work, but because the blockage has been pushed down into the part of the drain that's owned by them, once they know it's blocked I believe they can do what they like (even though it's only the drain from our house that's obstructed). My understanding is that once they choose their course of action, irrespective of our wishes/capability to pay, they can then pursue us retrospectively for the cost of whatever they did.

Sponsored Links
long shot here
99% sure its a no goer
try your insurance company
both for if its covered
or in case you need it legal cover

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back