drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
I had the lovely task of unblocking our drains over christmas and was wondering if there was something we could do to stop this happening but before you type the obvious (spelt right I hope) we don`t use too much loo roll we do not use wipes and put them down the toilet or the sanitary towels down the loo.
we had guests over for christmas and may the drains were used alittle but they snag at the same place every time, have a look at the pic and see if we could wide, smooth the edges or something to stop the waste getting snagged
thanks

Sponsored Links
If you flush the loo with this chamber open, does the liquid flow away at a fair rate?
If it doesn't, it could be worth getting a drain jetter in as there could be a slight obstruction downstream.
However, there are a couple of things that spring to mind.....3 ply loo roll (e.g Charmin is a drainage nightmare) and modern toilets don't flush enough water down to keep things clear. So, instead of saving water, many folks flush twice!
John :)

yeah if the loo is flushed it does flow well, we have changed loo roll to help the problem which works well, will a jetter be powerful enough to take away any hard deposits which may be causing snagging on the bend on the pic?
thanks for the reply

Jetting is an excellent way of removing soil deposits and bits of loose masonry that may be lurking in the drains - of course it won't have any effect on tree roots etc that may be in there.
I wouldn't go for the jetter just yet, if as you say the flow of water is brisk.
Its a bit difficult to see if there is a snag on the bend in the pic - but there's not a great deal you could do about it anyway apart from grinding any edges down.
Concentrate on what you put down the loo and see how it goes - but it could be a little delicate if you have guests!

Sponsored Links
Yeah exactly, once we realised we had to be careful with what we flushed away its been clear for two years but once we have guests it blocks which generally isn`t a problem but we share our drains with next door and it blocks on their side before it gets to the junction that joins both are drains, so I want to try and sort this for their sake as well as my own peace of mind.
thanks very much for your help and advice.

Maybe just a bit of friendly advice is needed for them mate, as most people don't give a stuff about what they put down the loo.....
Moist wipes don't dissolve (how corny is that) and I often have to remove incontinence pads too. Many people become so embarrased about this topic - I sure don't know why.

That channel is sadly bodged :cry: You have 2 options - dig the lot out and replace with a nice smooth plastic channel bend - Or make your toilet flush as efficient as possible and the max. amount of water down it . Sod the regulations - I`m fitting a high level ( 6foot off the ground) old style WC in my utility room letting the best part of 2 gallons a flush go. Then my slightly dodgy piperun will never need rodding again ;) If you post a pic in Plumbing - of your toilet cistern - and ask how to max. out the flush , you`ll get some advice there

That channel is sadly bodged :cry: You have 2 options - dig the lot out and replace with a nice smooth plastic channel bend - Or make your toilet flush as efficient as possible and the max. amount of water down it .

What people don't realise is that saving water doesn't always work well, as most people flush twice and there are now more blockages due to lack of water. That is when we get called out to flush out manholes and drain lines using 50 gallons of water. The good old 2 gallon flush will remove all waste, much better than a 3 litre trickle. :D

Andy

Thanks guys for your advice, kinda thought that the water flow even if it is flowing quickly there isn`t alot of it gushing water.
I guess we`ll play it by ear for now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back