Drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I hope you can help..

Attached is a photo of the outside drains of our house (which I think was rebuilt by cowboys).

Currently there are five pipes lead into the drain. One is lead and appears to be not used.

The other are:

Kitchen/Dishwasher
Downstairs loo sink
Main bathroom bath/sink
Rainwater gutters.

//media.diynot.com/200000_199750_66388_88152444_thumb.jpg

The problem is this, all are above the grate which means that everything backs up quite quickly if leaves etc get in. Any food stuff from the kitchen gets trapped and starts to smell.

I've bought a big plastic cover which I can alter to fit over all the pipes to stop leaves etc but here's my question:

Can I get rid of the grate in the picture or is that breaking regs of any kind? Should I find a way of extending the kitchen pipe so its below the rest and through some kind of grate?

Many thanks

Michael

Sponsored Links
Lead pipe is possibly a legacy from a Belfast type sink from years back when the house was built, can be disregarded. Replace current grid with a plastic version (couple of £ from various places), cut suitable hole(s) and extend waste(s) to discharge below the grid. This is actually a requirement under Building Regs on any new installations so perfectly acceptable.

Current waste pipe looks to be the solvent weld type so use solvent or compression waste fittings to extend. (If using solvent, clean the end of the pipe first before gluing.) Downpipe from bathroom (hopper?) could be joined to rainwater pipe (or vice versa) if desired to neaten things up.

Fit leaf guard/cover, and have a cup of tea. :D

you have a downstairs loo that drains via a 40mm pipe into an above ground open grated drain? Or am I not reading that correctly :eek:
Oh..it's the sink in the downstairs toilet...lol..phew :D

Sponsored Links
you have a downstairs loo that drains via a 40mm pipe into an above ground open grated drain? Or am I not reading that correctly :eek:
Oh..it's the sink in the downstairs toilet...lol..phew :D

The sink in the downstairs loo room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back