Draught seals on timber framed windows - replacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got really old timber framed double glazing. It's still in good condition but I wanted to replace the draught seals (are they called flipper seals??) as the existing ones are looking a bit worn and squished.

I got replacement just for one window to see how I went but for the life of me, I can't get the new stuff to go into the groove in the window frame.

The old stuff (which I've had to put back in because I can't get the new stuff in) just pops in no problem. Is there a technique? Does the hard edge on these seals come in different sizes or something?

This is the type of seal I'm talking about.

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...ng_and_Joinery_Seals/16058/AQ21_AquaMac_Seals

Sponsored Links
I think so - the actual foam bit looks a bit thicker but then the old stuff is old.

The guy in the merchants didn't say there was any different sizes.

It should push in but of course your old gasket may have flattened a little hence it goes back in easily, try a bit of silicone spray in the groove and maybe push it in with a blunt instrument

Sponsored Links
Thank you. I'll get some silicone spray. I ruined one bit by trying to push it in with a screwdriver!! Made holes in it. :cry:

Whilst I agree with the last post, I think you might try washing up liquid first before you go and buy some silicone spray. Not hat silicone spray isn't marvelous stuff, it has a milliard of uses, but just a spot of cheap old washing up liquid in the start of the slot will determine just fine if the gasket is the correct size. Then if necessary pop a few more spots further into the slot and rub it in with a tissue...pinenotl :)

Thanks. Should I put it on the gasket or try and get it in the groove? Putting on the gasket would certainly be easier.

I'm sorry I started it TBH. It all started to go horribly wrong when a ruddy big spider came wandering along as I turned the window!! LOL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back