Draughtproofing Sash Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone with experience of draught proofing sash windows might be able to help me.

I'm in the process of overhauling two sash windows. I've bought some new parting beads and staff beads with brush pile, and have routed in a groove onto the middle of the meeting rail to put brush pile in.

The only thing I'm struggling with is the parting bead - I think it needs to run along both sides of the sash and the top too - but at the moment there is only a groove routed into the sides of the box for the parting bead to fit into. Do I need to route one along the top, or is there any easier way to do this?

Sponsored Links
Think my old windows used to have a parting bead at the top, left and right.

If yours hasn't got a top rebate to put the parting beading into, it won't be that easy to create one.
If the window loose or fitted?

I seem to remember looking once before and seeing a two part parting bead.

What about just gluing the top one on? visually, it may be a little deeper onto your frame.

Thatgirl101, good evening.

The chance of using a router to form a groove on the head will be next to impossible.

The top sash in your case [excuse the pun??] will only have the case to stop draughts, nothing on the inside [room side] of the sash?

What you can consider is,,, using a [say] 20. mm. or so thick piece of good quality timber the width [that is from the sash "back" towards the interior of the room??] is up to you??

Question? do the sashes move a lot "side to side" not, in and out???

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back