Draughtproofing UPVC windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we’re in a first floor flat, the windows have been here longer than we have (20 years) and the living room window is a bit draughty.

Can’t really afford replacement windows but really need to do something. I’ve watched videos on replacing the seals but don’t feel safe standing at an open first floor flat window to do so. Are there any other options for draughtproofing please?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Secondary glazing but that can be as much as a new window

Is it actually coming from the window or around the edges?

You don't have to replace all the windows just that one for now , one window is not too expensive

Thanks, it’s round the edges of the frame I think. It doesn’t actually blow air but you just feel it colder if you put your hand up.

Thanks, it’s round the edges of the frame I think. It doesn’t actually blow air but you just feel it colder if you put your hand up.

Well if thats the case it could just as easily be convection, window convection is a process by which warm air flows up against the cooler surface of a window and forces colder air away from the surface. That colder air in turn sinks toward the ground and more warm air get moving toward the window surface. The resulting air movement cycle can feel a lot like a draft.

Sponsored Links
A roller blind that's a close fit to the window will cut that dramatically.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back