Draughty Ceiling Lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

So I've owned my new-ish build flat for just over two years now (built 2003). I absolutely love it and it is very well insulated.

However...

One thing I've always noticed is if I keep my bathroom door open the flat gets ALOT colder, but shut and it keeps a constant temperature. After trying to suss out where the cold air could be coming from in the Bathroom and scratching my head no end I've realised its the ceiling lights!

When it's full of steam you can see the draught entering around the lights, a hand held close and you can feel just the slightest of draughts; the extractor seems to be OK. I'm top floor with the roof above me, I have a hatch for the roof in the hallway but no ladder access and I've never been up there. I know under the ownership rights I have access but don't own the roof, so don't want to be messing around up there if I'm honest.

But is there anyway to get something, either new lights or seals, which would help at my flat level below? I've had a look at ceiling LED's in places like Screwfix but none seem to be fully sealed units which would stop airflow if that makes sense.

Any help?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just one of the disadvantages of downlights (not fitted properly).
Lucky you are on the top floor. You will have to go up and look.
I would assume the "loft" comes with the flat - although any terms may, I suppose, be stipulated in the lease.

You will need something like this to cover them but leave space so that they don't overheat - or make them yourself out of plasterboard.

Just one of the disadvantages of downlights (not fitted properly).
Lucky you are on the top floor. You will have to go up and look.
I would assume the "loft" comes with the flat - although any terms may, I suppose, be stipulated in the lease.

You will need something like this to cover them but leave space so that they don't overheat - or make them yourself out of plasterboard.

Thanks EFL - that's twice you'e helped me out now!

Yes exactly that, I'm allowed to use the loft and gain access but do not own it and have no right to amend it.

Did you miss out a link or reference?

Sponsored Links
Be sure to site any power supply units outside the caps and away from any insulation.

I'd get up there and check there's adequate loft insulation - which you are allowed to do. They've very likely just removed the insulation from around the downlights, but you won't know what's going on till you look.

You also probably have no right to damage the roof with condensation.

The ground must look a long way down from that horse of yours.

Who is to say that he installed the lights?

And don't come back with "Whether he did or not is irrelevant...."

The ground must look a long way down from that horse of yours. ..... Who is to say that he installed the lights?
Given that the building is only 15 years old, I would suspect that it's more likely that he didn't.

People vary so much. I am sometimes criticised for interpreting things in the 'best possible way' (i.e. giving people the benefit of the doubt, unless/until there is evidence to the contrary), but others always seem to read/interpret things in the 'worst possible way' - perhaps because they then feel justified in having a 'rant' about what they have assumed.

Kind Regards, John

You also probably have no right to damage the roof with condensation.

You what?

I'd get up there and check there's adequate loft insulation - which you are allowed to do. They've very likely just removed the insulation from around the downlights, but you won't know what's going on till you look.

Yeah one of my to-do-lists is to get a ladder able to get me up there as I have 3m high ceilings.

Who is to say that he installed the lights?

Given that the building is only 15 years old, I would suspect that it's more likely that he didn't.

People vary so much. I am sometimes criticised for interpreting things in the 'best possible way' (i.e. giving people the benefit of the doubt, unless/until there is evidence to the contrary), but others always seem to read/interpret things in the 'worst possible way' - perhaps because they then feel justified in having a 'rant' about what they have assumed.

Kind Regards, John

I've not touched any of my lighting, it was these downlights from when I moved in (has the same in the kitchen area). The flat was bought and rented since its inception by the previous owner (he never lived here), so I'm not sure if it came like that, but all evidence would suggest that it did.

Thanks

Yeah one of my to-do-lists is to get a ladder able to get me up there as I have 3m high ceilings

This sort of thing is ideal for flats, unless you go for a loft ladder of course.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
His sense suddenly looks superior though.

I'm afraid that a request like that cannot be heeded.

It is irrelevant - he knows that there is a path for moist air to enter the loft. The flat is now his. He should fix the problem.

Yes, and other people make assumptions because they are consumed by a juvenile and unthinking desire to criticise others for writing things which are, actually, only present in their own pathetic and febrile imagination.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back