Draw Construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There, I am making some bedside chest of drawers at the moment and they have draws which fit flush with the front of the chest. I have built the draws using biscuits and screws leaving off the front of the draw. I then fit the draws in the the chest and measure up the front piece.

Where I am struggling is on how to fit the front piece to the drawer with out screwing it through the front. I want an invisible fixing but am not sure of the best way to do it. Any thoughts ??

Sponsored Links
dependant on thickness of materials depends on what you can do

dowels or buiscut into the them together

or a bit of 1"by1" or 20mm by 20mm [2by1" planed riped down the middle] assuming the sides are 12mm or less screw into the wood through the sides so you now have a block flush with the front off the drawer full height [but no before youve grooved or reccesed for the base ;) ] with a rounded top edge
you now countersink through the wood and screw into the back of the drawer front

I always line up my draw fronts with a good quality double sided tape, then carefully countersink and screw them into place. Hope this has been of help, it helped me a hell of alot.

heelllooo 1511

if i am reading this right fastmonkey has made his own at present open fronted drawers and wants to secure the front on ;)

Sponsored Links
Another alternative might be pocket hole screws from the outsides of the drawer sides, although they are visible. However, Kreg do a pocket hole plug in various colours to solve that problem

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back